Implementation Plan for Bitterroot/Salmon Advisory
Prepared by Julie Stewart and Milt Clark, Airspace Coordination Specialists.
The following are steps that need to be taken prior to
implementation of operations within the combined
Bitterroot/Salmon-Challis/Beaverhead-Deer Lodge TFR that stradles Idaho
and Montana. It can not be implemented in one half.
Note - the Operations Plan is also available. Contact Julie Stewart at 503-808-6728 if you would like a copy.
- Review Operations Plan
|Review by Area Command || Dudley ||__________ |
|Review by Area Command || Payne || __________|
|Review by Salmon/Challis ||Goheen ||__________|
|Review by involved Bitterroot |
Beaverhead-Deer Lodge Forests
| || __________ |
| Review by FAA Reg. Hqtrs ||George Orr ||__________ |
- Revise Operation plan from input by above listed groups and revise for
Review if needed.
- Frequency Planning:
- Strengthen Frequency inoperative procedure (back up system needs
identified ie: hand held radios, back up radios, repeater replacement)
for both advisory units.
- Salmon - establish frequency and conduct commo tests to include 5 miles
North of 45.27
- Bitterroot - establish commo between 45.27 and the existing TFR and
5 miles south with Bitterroot Advisory
- Prepare sectionals and TFR/Fire maps for Advisory Unit to use
- Salmon - prepare TFR/Fire map similar to Bitterroots.
- Personnel brief:
- FAA Advisory Units to visit involved Area Command and Dispatch units to
Understand policies and procedures for flight following.
- Prepare FAA Briefing Package (FAA Advisors will probably rotate
On a 5 day rotation). Briefing package to include familiarization with aerial wildland fire terminology.
- Medivac plans should be shared between units and FAA Advisors.
- FAA Advisors will need familiarization trips to identify geographical
- Salmon Advisory Unit
- Order phones, radios, etc to support Advisory Unit at helibase.
- Visit Salmon Airport (concerned parties) to explain presence of
FAA at helibase (Good Neighbor Policy)
- Order TFR with the following:
- Two phone contacts (As per agreement - will be Northern Rockies GACC
And Eastern Great Basin GACC phone number)
- List two frequencies for "Bitterroot" advisory and Salmon advisory
TFR must also include sentence regarding Salmon airport approach and
Departure as in current Salmon TFR.
- Brief involved Dispatch Offices
- Establish test period to define and repair overlooked items.
- Prepare and issue Pilot briefing packages (Include complete
frequency lists) for all pilots that fly within the TFR. Extra copies
needed for Towers, Helibases, Air Tankers, Lead Planes, MAFFS,
Smokejumpers, Forest Neighboring Units and Advisory Units.